Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Please identify

I have this little tree on my property that i never noticed...it looks very pretty from the street, but i have no idea what it is, i'm hoping somebody in the blogosphere recognizes it.
please click on picture to enlarge

think i found it (Downy Hawthorn or Crataegus submollis)

4 comments:

  1. The birds will love these berries this winter when they shrivel up. :0)

    Is Downy Hawthorn native to Canada?
    Haven't seen a tree like that here in MA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it to me. I was going to say from what I could find that it looked like a hawthorn.

    Wildflower Center says the Downy Hawthorn is aka White Thorn. It's a member of the rose family. I suppose that mean the little apples are similar to hips.

    Use Wildlife: Habitat for many birds and other wildlife. Only a few birds like the fruit of Crataegus and, consequently, they remain effective for a long time.

    Use Medicinal: Dried leaves or flowers have been administered in capsules, teas and tinctures for treating heart and circulatory problems. Studies have shown that hawthorn dilates blood vessels, thereby improving circulation, increasing oxygen supply to the heart and stabilizing blood pressure. (Kershaw)

    Info found @
    http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=crmo2

    May be more than you want to know ... but I was curious myself ;)

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks :) and i checked it all out myself too, never to much info for me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does seem to be one of the Hawthorns.
    It is lovely and the birds will probably love it.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete